Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Earthquake Preparedness

Several years ago when I was producing and co-hosting a tv talk show, we had a lady on demonstrating a survival kit in case of an earthquake. I ended up buying one. Then, not long ago, it dawned on me that the food and water meant to last for years had surely expired by now. Since we were preparing for a long road trip, we decided to update our kits, which we did a month ago.

The Red Cross has great information on what to do, where to go, what should be in your kit. Check it out.
Now's the time. Today was a wakeup call. We're about five miles from the epicenter of this 5.4 quake today.
I was in the car in Pasadena, so I didn't feel it at all. Not even an aftershock. But, it's a little disconcerting when you get home and see all the pictures on the wall askew, the photo frames on shelves fallen, opening the kitchen cabinets carefully, because glasses are leaning on the door, ready to fall out.

Funny thing...as I washed my favorite champagne glasses last Saturday after our company left, I remember thinking as I put them way up on that open glass shelf above the bar, "Gee, I hope these don't get broken in an earthquake." It's one of the few shelves that not a single thing moved. We shouldn't be so attached to material things, I know.

No comments: