Sunday, July 20, 2008

Past Lives

My friend, Mary, who lost her mom at age ten, asked me recently if I had read, "Many Lives, Many Masters" by Brian L. Weiss, M.D. I had certainly heard about this New York Times Bestseller. It was probably on my list to read.

Since Borders sent me a coupon for my birthday (isn't that nice), I decided to forego any further procrastination and buy it. I was surprised to see that this was the 20th Anniversary Edition.

What a good book! It's the true story of a prominent psychiatrist, his young patient, and the past-life therapy that changed both their lives. I read it in one sitting...well almost, I read the epilogue this morning. I'm more prone to liking books that may give me some insight as to why my brother died two weeks before his 16th birthday or why my beautiful mom's life was cut short at age 46.

Of course, it doesn't hold all the answers, but it certainly gives one something to ponder about our own mortality, or in this case, immortality. This may be something to check out if you have lost someone close to you. I think it might bring comfort to someone who has a terminal illness. I know it's a difficult subject to write about...truthfully, it is for me, but I'm mentioning it for the same reason Dr. Weiss decided he had to write the book. It may help someone.
And it did.

No comments: