Monday, July 7, 2008

Songs of the Heart

(Be sure to read my post on Taos below if you read these in sequence.)
Since I have been telling you about the parks we've visited over the years, it brought to mind an experience I had at The Ahwahnee Hotel at Yosemite National Park a few years ago.
Reservations at the resort are made a year in advance at this popular resort. An evening dress code is observed here.

We were enjoying appetizers and champagne before ordering dinner in this grand hotel's huge dining room, with a giant vaulted ceiling, massive peeled-log trusses and 24-foot plate glass windows. A beautiful haunting melody was being played on the piano at the far end of the room. It went straight to my heart. I can't remember ever having that exact experience before. I asked our waiter to please ask the pianist the name of the song he just played. I had to know. It was Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton and Will Jennings.

Upon further investigation, I learned that this is the song Eric wrote the lyrics to in memory of his son, Conor, who tragically fell out of a New York City apartment window in 1991. Conor was only four years old.

If you have a chance, download on iTunes or listen to it on You Tube - Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven. We all have our own way of dealing with pain, don't we.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sbwrites said...

What a tragic story, and the song is so heartfelt that it brings tears to my eyes!