Sunday, August 19, 2007

In memorium

Yesterday, I went to my friend Denise's mom's wake. It's always sad to me, even though we know, if you believe, that our departed loved ones are in a better place. It was a touching service for this wonderful woman.

I remember the first time I met Denise's mom whom I had heard so much about. Millie came to hear her daughter sing when we were doing a Cathy Segal-Garcia showcase at Ca' Del Sole in North Hollywood. Here we vocalists are with Cathy and the wonderful Tom Garvin on piano.

The strangest thing happened when I got up to sing...a great melancholy feeling came over me. I can't remember whether or not I was singing a particularly sad song...I doubt it, since I tend to lean toward more upbeat or hopeful romantic tunes.

In any event, it took me by surprise, and later I figured out what it was all about. How I would have loved to have had my mom there seeing me perform. There's nothing like that unconditional love and support that you get from the person who brought you into this world. Somehow, I've learned to envision my mom, who took me to all those dancing and piano lessons when I was young, and who passed away when I was 21, smiling down from heaven at any little thing I do that I know would make her proud.

By the way, Ca' Del Sole is where I learned to drink my favorite aperitif, Limoncello. Of course, I didn't try it until the gig was over! I'm going to toast this one to Millie. I'll miss her too.

1 comment:

sbwrites said...

What a lovely tribute! It is sad that your mom never saw you sing in person although I'm sure she's watching you from heaven and your dad wishes he could be your accompaniest!

Susan