Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Self-help Books

I must confess...I'm a self-help book junkie. Sometimes, though, I don't make it all the way through them. One thing I need help with is following through.

However, the best of these books, the one which helped me the most, is The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. The one Agreement that really hits home is Don't Take Anything Personally. Believe me, this one is crucial if you're an actor. How many times have we heard, "Once you leave the audition, forget it." You never know why they opted for someone else. (Notice how positively I stated that? Not..."why you didn't get it.") Did I remind him of his ex-wife? Did they decide they wanted blue eyes instead of brown?

It's always about the other person. We have no control over that. You can only do your best. Which happens to be another of The Four Agreements. I'd recommend reading it...even if you're not an actor.

However, "Be careful about reading health books; you may die of a misprint."
Mark Twain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great advice. I try to look at life positively as well. It makes all the difference!