Monday, July 30, 2007

Yoga

So, who would have thought that taking an acting workshop would change my lifestyle in such a dramatic way (pardon the pun). I'll start at the beginning.

Several years ago, I hurt my back playing tennis, which was my stress-reliever from the corporate world. I was playing four times a week. It seems that the fact that my right leg is 3/8" shorter than the other and/or the fact that I once carried a very heavy briefcase when I was selling insurance (for a very brief period of time) could have caused my back trouble. In any event, it did threaten to ruin several annual trips to the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club, as well as interfere with my entering tournaments at the Sunny Hills Racquet Club.

First day out, warming up, my back would go out and I was out for the count...the whole week.
The pro at LJBTC, I remember, recommended yoga, (an ancient practice from India, which unites body, mind and spirit). Instead, I made weekly treks to my chiropractor, who did help ease the pain.

Fast forward to an acting workshop with casting director, Linda Phillips-Palo, on "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron . As a requisite to taking the class, everyone had to join a yoga class.
By this time, yoga classes were springing up everywhere, so it was easy for me to join one close to home.

It was the best advice I ever took. After five years of practice now, I haven't had a single back episode that kept me out of any activity. Of course, I do my stretching morning and night, bend from the knees while lifting, and take regular walks as added precaution.

I bless Linda for insisting on this life-enhancing change. It's not only the physical aspect of yoga that I love, but it makes me feel more centered, more balanced. It rejuvenates the body and mind. And it purports to keep one young. "Stay Young with Yoga from WebMD." That always gets my attention.

Nameste (I honor the light in you.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I echo the sentiments! Yoga has completely turned my life around. :o)

Anonymous said...

I've always heard about the benefits of yoga, but being the skeptic I am, I dismissed them. Having 100% faith and trust in you, I will certainly starting going to the Tuesday yoga class nearby.

Bonnie said...

Hmm... makes me think I should get back to yoga. Thanks!

Cami Black said...

Bonnie...thanks for your comments on my yoga post.
I loved reading your articles in Back Stage West. They were so informative. Also, I attended an AIA workshop where you were the guestback in '02 that was very interesting.