Thursday, July 26, 2007

Smile

Remember, "Smile, you're on Candid Camera." Well, I don't like those kind of surprises, but I believe my motto is: "Never underestimate the power of a smile."

I think my face just naturally wants to smile for whatever reason; but not too long ago, after yet another clerk in a store went out of his way for me, either throwing in an extra bagel (although I try to avoid them) or a stranger out of the blue doing me a favor, I tried to analyze why people seem to be especially nice to me.

I decided it's because I usually approach people with a smile. Maybe it's all those years of my dad, Eddie Teener, a career jazz guitarist, telling me to "smile for the camera," the shutter bug that he was. Whatever the reason, I hope it's not bad luck to write about it, because I appreciate the help!

So, if you aren't prone to smiling, the next time you go into a store, try entering with a smile, and see if you don't encounter special kindness for doing so. But, if you see me walking around the lake in the morning, and you've already smiled and said, "Good morning," please don't say it again the second time around. That's annoying. On the other hand, maybe I should be more compassionate (with a smile).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People are especially nice to you because you are beautiful, talented, charming,and probably a good dancer.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it is just karma. The energy you put out only returns to you. Though you certainly have a lot of your "daddy's" traits; your kindness, caring, and compassion certainly are your mother's traits, a truly wonderful lady.