Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Spring has sprung

Don't you just love Spring! People in other parts of the country think that if you live in Southern California that there aren't seasons here. Oh, contraire! There just may not be as dramatic a change, but we definitely can feel the difference.

If you have never been to Carlsbad and seen the flower fields, you owe it to yourself to visit. Fifty acres of extraordinary color in bloom on a hillside overlooking the Pacific Ocean is a spectacle to behold.

So, today I planted morning glories, sweet peas (because my mom loved to plant these in our yard in Ohio), and California Poppies. Wish me luck. My track record hasn't been that great. However, two things have
inspired me: Listening to my cousin, Susan, talk about how much she loves gardening, and the other, watching my next movie in que from Netflix...greenfingers. The reason I had wanted to see this movie was I was searching out movies with Helen Mirren. Clive Owen does a great job in this as well. He sure is an interesting actor to watch. As you can guess, it's about gardening. If you haven't seen it, it's a real feel-good movie. I loved it.

"The grass is greener on the other side, but it's just as hard to mow."

1 comment:

sbwrites said...

Well, I'm so glad I've been an inspiration. I bought all the herbs today for my herb garden for my class. I've decided to plant them tomorrow so I don't have to push myself on Thursday night.

Anyway, I think it's really nice that gardening reminds you of your mother. And who knows? Maybe Helen Miren and I will have a huge impact, and your crop will flourish!

Susan