Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ella

I must confess that when I first heard The Laguna Playhouse was going to present "Ella," the life and times of Ella Fitzgerald, I wasn't very interested in seeing someone impersonating my favorite jazz singer. However, after I read a few reviews that raved about Tina Fabrique's voice and the terrific band performing with her, I hurried to see it on the very last day. I am so happy I did. I can't remember when I enjoyed a performance more. Tina is fabulous; it was a joy to listen to her sing nearly two-dozen songs associated with the great Ella. What a talent! A great actress as well with quite a resume.

When Tina finally left the stage after many standing ovations, the band played on, and many of us stayed until the very last note was hit. George Caldwell conducted and played piano; Rodney Harper on drums; Clifton Kellem on bass, and Thad Wilson on trumpet. They were outstanding! Harold Dixon did a good job of playing Ella's manager, Norman Granz.

Congratulations go to Andrew Barnicle, the Artistic Director, of The Laguna Playhouse for presenting this great program. I first met Andy when he came to the playhouse by taking an acting class he offered. I hadn't been pursuing acting that long after leaving a career in marketing. I learned a lot from him. This show was conceived by Rob Ruggiero (who directs) and Dyke Garrison. Musical Supervision and arrangements are by Danny Holgate.

Andy has continued to bring exciting productions to the playhouse, many being world premieres here. If you haven't ventured to Laguna Beach lately, why not make plans to spend a lovely day at this quaint beach city. I love walking in the shops and having lunch or dinner around their shows. I think I'll plan to come see the first show in this year's subscription series for my birthday in July, My Way: A Musical Tribute to Frank Sinatra. If it's half as good as Ella, it will be a winner.

No comments: