Tuesday, August 19, 2008

On a Sunday Afternoon

There really aren't enough superlatives to describe the talented pianist, Tamir Hendelman, to do him justice. You just have to hear him to experience something wonderful. I would encourage you to go and hear him live at one of the many venues locally, when he's not traveling the world, accompanying Natalie Cole, or performing with other great vocalists. But, until you have the opportunity to do that, you can now buy his debut cd, Playground.

On this particular Sunday afternoon, the concert was held at The Atelier of David Andersen Pianos, which was a beautiful garden setting, featuring wonderful scultures by Tanya Ragir. Tanya has her studio here and it was a treat to get a sneak peak at it when we took a break for food, drink and conversation after the first set. The garden displayed many pieces of her extraordinary work.

I first met Tamir at a Cathy Segal-Garcia workshop I attended over ten years ago.
What impressed me from the start was his ability to fine-tune the key to any song to fit each of the singers attending the workshop. Now, because my musician father had that ability, I thought all musicians could do that. I found out it takes a special talent. Tamir didn't need to see the music. He had all that in his memory bank. And he was (and still is) young!
Since then, Tamir has done many arrangements for me, which when other musicians see the charts are always impressed!

I must also tell you that I was very interested to see the pianos on display there that day. All exceptional...worthy of a world-class pianist such as Tamir. If you know of anyone looking for a concert grand or other fine piano, I'd check them out. David Andersen Pianos has just announced a new alliance with a fifth-generation Bavarian hand-built piano maker. If theirs are anything like the wonderful sound on Sunday's piano, I'm sure it will be a delight to hear.

What a special musical experience. Tamir's playing always touches my heart.

No comments: