Monday, August 10, 2009

Julie & Julia


I guess it's just the difference in the way men and women think about or enjoy certain things. After reading two reviews by the male species, I expected to be at least a little bored or unimpressed with the "Julie" part of the show.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie!! Nora Ephron did her usual great job of directing this film (as well as writing it). "Cooking is all about time travel. Cooking is about traveling back in your memories." Meryl Streep is just...as you can imagine... sensational in this role! A true delight to watch. I loved the scenes where she was competing with the men at the Cordon Bleu school. I adore watching Stanley Tucci in anything. Remember how great they were together in The Devil Wears Prada. You won't be disappointed.

I guess the popcorn dulled my appetite a bit, because I didn't necessarily salivate over the sole meuniere. The food stylists did such a great job; all of the food displayed in the film was so tantalizing. I had been listening to Melinda Lee discuss in great detail the filming of the food and how audiences are so sophisticated today that you must use the real thing...no fake anything! Unbelievable how many lobsters, etc, it took to get just the right take. That's an interesting story in itself.

Amy Adams is darling as the blogger who made her way through all 524 (?) recipes in Julia Child's, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I thought the casting of her husband, Chris Messina, was a wise one as well. I had just started reading Julia Child's autobiography, My Life in France, written with her nephew, Alex Prud'homme, and published after her death in 2006. I guess the publisher felt they could sell more books with "Julie and Julia" on the cover, but when I bought it at Border's, I told the clerk that I was disappointed in the cover. She said, "Oh, I'll go in the back and get you the other one," which happened to have a picture of Julia and her husband, Paul, on the cover.

Well, I went as far as to cut out the recipe for Boeuf Bourguignon that Cathy Thomas had reprinted in the newspaper because that looked so good in the movie. Will I be brave enough to cook it for guests? Why not! Why let 17 ingredients and several hours of cooking deter me.

Go see the movie. It's really not a chick flick. I heard many men in the audience laughing out loud, and everyone applauded at the end of the movie. I recommend you plan to go out with friends for a nice dinner afterwards. You'll definitely be in the mood.
But, skip the movie popcorn.

I wonder what my blogger friend, Jan at the Movies, will think of this film.

6 comments:

The Teacher said...

I recently saw Julia and Julie. I think Meryl Streep will be nominated for yet another oscar for her role as Julia Child. She was fantastic. (as usual).

Cami Black said...

Tommy...I couldn't agree more with you! Thanks for your comment.
Cami

sbwrites said...

Dear Cami,
You were the second person I've talked to who loved this. Your cousin and I will be seeing it on Wednesday with friends!

Susan

Cami Black said...

Susan...I'd be interested in your comments after you see it.

Unknown said...

I saw this movie and loved it too! I even bought a Julia Child cookbook after seeing it...not that I'll be cooking much from it, but in case I ever want to, I can! :)

Cami Black said...

Kristina...thanks for the comment. Let me know if you get brave enough to try any of the recipes.