Sunday, May 10, 2009

Motherless Daughters Day

Every year the day before Mothers Day, those of us who lost our moms when we were 21 or younger get together to celebrate our mothers' lives.

One of the things we do is get in what we call the "Circle of Remembrance" and join hands and give our name and our mother's name as well, i.e., "I am Cami, daughter of Cecelia." It's a touching moment. I look forward to being with my Sisters at Heart on this day in what we call the "unsought sorority."

I won a fabulous prize from Wine Country Gift Baskets and got to take home a tulip plant from Trader Joe's as well, which now resides in my front yard.

If you know of anyone who had an early mother loss, please recommend Hope Edelman's book to them, Motherless Daughters, A Legacy of Loss. It's a great way to begin the healing process.

1 comment:

sbwrites said...

Dear Cami,
I'm glad you had such a lovely day! And it's nice to have your mom's name mentioned aloud!

Love,
Susan