Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Griffith Observatory

The problem with living here in Southern California is there are so many cool things to visit that it's easy to put off actually going. So, when we had an opportunity to sign up for a trip to the Griffith Observatory with a fine restaurant, Mr. Stox, who charters a bus, serves us wine and lunch on the way, and dinner when we return, we just did it. This particular Sunday wasn't the clearest we've seen, which was a little disappointing, because the view is magnificent from Mount Hollywood, 1,134 feet above sea level.

The Griffith Observatory, which opened in 1935, with leading astronomers and architects who guided in the design and construction, is an icon of Los Angeles, a national leader in public astronomy and has become the most visited public observatory in the world. It offers public telescopes, astronomy exhibits, and a planetarium theater, where you lean back on comfy chairs and are treated to a wonderful view of the solar system. I'll warn you, though, if you're a teeny bit tired, it's easy to take a nap and miss the show!

After 70 million people had entered the building from 1935-2002, it underwent a major restoration. The ironic thing is when we were there Sunday, they said the construction is such that it would be a good place to be when an earthquake hit. I came home and was sitting at the computer when a 4.7 quake, which lasted 15 seconds (seems like 15 minutes!) hit. Regardless, I think it would have been scarier to have been in that huge structure with all those people.

I'd recommend a visit to enjoy the amazing views of Los Angeles, the Hollywood Sign, and beyond. Did I mention that admission is FREE!

2 comments:

sbwrites said...

Glad you enjoyed it. During my last visit there, when my son was in elementary school, I drove a carpool to the Observatory. And just before we got to the top of the hill, one of the boys vomited all over the back seat in my van.

While the kids were inside the Observatory, I drove back down the hill, and found a car wash to clean up the mess.

While the admission to the Observatory was free, it cost me $20 to have my car cleaned.

Yikes! Thinking about it now makes me laugh. At the time, I'm not sure I thought it was quite as funny!

Cami Black said...

Thanks for the laugh, Susan; although, I'm sure I wouldn't have thought it funny at the time either!