Sunday, October 19, 2008

Comedy with a Flair

Rita Rudner recently recorded her first television special in over a decade. Rita Rudner, Live From Las Vegas premiered on PBS in June, 2008, in conjunction with a DVD release. I missed that one, but since I've been a huge fan for years, I decided to see her live show recently. She came out in a beautiful blue gown and delighted the audience with her low-key hilarious act for over an hour. She is so relatable! The time just flew by (you know, when you're having fun).

Rita started out as a dancer on broadway. She has maintained her great figure through the years. Her first big break as a comedienne came in 1988 when she appeared on Johnny Carson's The Tonight Show. She did two HBO shows, Born to be Mild and Rita Rudner: Married Without Children. She can no longer claim the latter as she is mom to a six-year-old daughter.

Rita is also an author: Naked Beneath My Clothes: Tales of a Revealing Nature; and the 2008 I Still Have It...I Just Can't Remember Where I Put it: Confessions of a Fiftysomething. Rudner wrote, produced, and starred in the award-winning romantic comedy Peter's Friends, featuring Kenneth Branagh and Hugh Laurie! Why hadn't I heard of this before!

Since becoming a mom, she has settled in Las Vegas, where she has been named that city's "Best Comedian" for the last five years in a row. I can see why.

Opening for Rita was a fantastic jazz vocalist, Kitty Margolis, who lives in the Bay area and has had a successful international touring career. Just so happens I had taken a vocal workshop with Kitty locally about four years ago. She is a wonderful clinician (Harvard trained) as well as an "exhilarating and imaginative jazz singer of the highest order."

I loved the way Kitty came out singing her intro...high energy, great range, and commanding stage presence. She has many award-winning cd's out. I have Heart & Soul: Live in San Francisco, and Evolution, both winners.

A lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

No comments: