Sunday, June 22, 2008

Vacations

Oh my...been back a week from a three-week road trip. Almost forgot how to blog. But I must get back to it, because I have so much I want to say about our trip. I would not call this a relaxing vacation by any stretch of the imagination, but it was interesting.

Seeing aging family members was the main reason we planned this trip to the Midwest, and now that we're home, we realize how important it was that we did spend the time with family.

We knew that this time of year is not the best weatherwise, since there were tornado warnings all over the place. Early on in our trip to White Sands, NM, as it looked threatening, I said, "I don't mind if it rains, but I don't want it to hail on my car." Of course, the words had no sooner left my tongue than nickel-sized hail fell with a large clunk. I couldn't imagine that there would be no damage to the car, but for some reason, not a mark on it when we arrived at our destination.

Three weeks is a long time to be away, but I doubt that we could have done it in less time since we spent several long days in the car. Covering barren landscapes, particularly in Texas, with no cell reception made me particularly uncomfortable. Unbelievable how we could have lived without that convenient communication just a few short years ago. XM Satellite was a godsend, although we were gone so long, I swear they repeated the same songs over and over.

More tomorrow...just needed to keep in touch!

No comments: