Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Second-guessing Yourself

Ever wonder how your life might have turned out if you had made a different decision? Every time I see Johnny Grant presenting a celebrity with his/her star on the Walk of Fame, I think back to the time I met him. More years than I care to think about, he was there at a business convention I was attending in Anaheim. He asked me if I would be willing to pose for "Stars and Stripes." I recall that I didn't even bother to ask him what that was. I just blurted out, "Oh, no, my husband wouldn't like that."

Now, truthfully, it wasn't that I was such a hot babe, but I was the youngest by about 20 years among the other women, so I suppose I stood out for that reason. However, even though I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night, I can remember the dress I had on. It was one of my favorites...beige with a black wide cloth belt that tied on the side..black sleeves, above the knee. I must say, it was one of my more flattering outfits.

Unfortunately, my focus at that time was not on show business, being seen, achieving fame nor fortune. I wanted a family. I was afraid if I got sidetracked in a career I loved, I might postpone having a family.

Interesting, how things work out. I never had a family...God knows we tried. I had a succession of jobs that were really not my cup of tea but ones I could safely leave without missing them. I waited until I completed a 20-year career in marketing to puruse my passions of acting and singing. I love it how actresses today can seem to balance their exciting careers, marriage, and motherhood.

I don't think Johnny Grant would be making any such offers today. And, oh, by the way, when I got home and told my hubby about it, he said, "Why didn't you do it?!"

And just when I thought I had men figured out.

2 comments:

sbwrites said...

Interesting that you've remembered this incident all these years later. I often think that sometimes when we say "no" to something and think it's because our spouse or someone else wouldn't want us to do it, often it's because we're fearful of the next step or we're afraid to say, "I really want to do this and I need your support."

Cami Black said...

Susan...I am sure what you say is true. It was scary for me to even consider it at that point, and it was easier to use my hubby as an excuse! Thanks for the comment.