Monday, October 29, 2007

A life well lived

Why are the most heartfelt things so tough to write about? A member of my extended family passed away this week. I loved Marjorie Schwartz.

When Susan Bernard joined our family by marrying my cousin, Bernie, it was a very happy time. The more I got to know Susan's mom, the more I wanted to be around her. She had such panache. She wrote a weekly article for the West Los Angeles area newspaper. When she and her family came to visit, we would later read about how much she liked our bbq ribs. When we were celebrating a special birthday or anniversary, we'd see our names in print then too.

I went to the theatre with Marjorie when she prepared to review a show. She would have loved the play I'm doing now... "Sideways, A Musical."

She supported me by coming to The Gardenia when I did my one-woman cabaret. We went together to her grandson Alex' third grade class when Susan asked me to sing "something Italian" when they were studying the arts of various countries. I sang, "That's Amore." So many memories. And when we'd get together to celebrate either of our birthdays, you could count on both of us wearing our favorite shades of purple/lavender.

I miss her fun jewelry, her shoes, her great stories about her parents' friends, George & Gracie Allen, Mary & Jack Benny.

I feel blessed to have spent time around this wonderful woman. In fact, the last time we were together was at a Mexican restaurant in Santa Monica where we saw Dick Van Dyke dining. He even helped Marjorie with the car door on the way out as he was leaving as the valet pulled up. Susan is preparing a special memorial to celebrate her mother's life. It will be interesting to hear what the Rabbi will say from all the input of her many friends and family.

A life well lived, leaving behind many who will miss Marjorie's joie de vivre.

1 comment:

sbwrites said...

Thanks Cami. Mother loved you too!

Susan