Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happy Father's Day!

I spent my 30th birthday in the funeral home, receiving family and friends.
My dad died one day before his 54th birthday. How I miss Eddie Teener as my loving parent. You can tell where I get my curly hair!
On my 25th birthday, I was living in California and he in Ohio. I received a letter from him stating, "Twenty-five years ago today I went to a phone booth and called your grandmother and said, "I got my girl." You see my brother, Charles, had been born 2 1/2 years earlier, and my parents were hoping for a girl.

Now, all was not totally rosy as I was growing up. I always thought my dad was way too strict as a Sicilian father! I had always wished I came from a big family where I was not so much the center of attention. He really did spoil me in a lot of ways, however. If I was ever sick, he would bring me magazines and gifts to cheer me. Is it any wonder I had about six colds a year!
Transition to years later when I didn't understand why my hubby didn't make a big fuss over my ailments. So, it's not always mothers who spoil it for their sons' wives!

I liked having a father who was a musician, although in elementary school I would list my dad's profession as "magician." I got my love of music from him and my mom, who wanted to be a singer but was discouraged by her mom, because "nice girls didn't go into show business." So, my mom did the next best thing and married a guitarist.

They say a father gives his little girl self esteem. My father was constantly teaching me about how to get along in life. He taught me to set my goals high. However, I relied so much on his advice that it took me a while to have confidence in making my own decisions once I finally did leave home after college.
So on Father's Day, even though there's sadness in being without him for so many years, I feel very blessed for having had such a wonderful dad.

No comments: