Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dog Whisperer


Why should I be so addicted to watching the Dog Whisperer when I don't even have a dog? Our friends, Claudia and Jim, who have had many dogs through the years...the last being a darling poodle, Gidget... introduced us to the show when we were staying with them last year.

Well, now I know. There was a great article in last Sunday's Parade magazine by Cesar Millan, the man himself, talking about "What Your Pet Can Teach You." You learn a lot more about people than you do about the dogs themselves. Most of the time, it's the people who cause the problems or make them worse in domesticating a dog. Cesar outlines eight points in illustrating how dogs have helped him become a better, happier, and more-balanced human being.

Two of the lessons I particularly liked were "live in the moment." Of course, in acting, we hear "be in the moment" as one of the most important tenets we live by. "Celebrate each day" is another lesson we can learn from dogs. My friend, Terry, has a small white Maltese (pictured above) that I need to visit now that I'm thinking about it to get my doggie fix.You can catch the Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel...here it's on Friday at 8p. Check your local listing, as they say..

No comments: