Friday, September 26, 2008

Acoustic Guitar Stylings


A good friend of mine with whom I co-hosted and co-produced a tv talk show several years ago gave me one of the most treasured gifts I own. Casey surprised me a few years ago by taking a cassette tape we had converted from reel-to-reel and made a cd for us of my dad's guitar mastery.

Boy, oh boy, we take technology for granted today, but back in the 60's, all we had was reel-to-reel for quality home recordings. My dad had driven down from Santa Barbara one evening, arriving at our apartment in Anaheim around midnight. My hubby had built a stereo system, of which he was very proud and asked Dad if he would sit down and play. So, off the top of his head, after driving for three hours, he sat down and from memory recorded song after song for over an hour on an inexpensive acoustic guitar, which he gave to Dave.

Well, we relished that recording, but little did we know it would be the only such one of my dad's talent that we would have. Well, I take that back, we did recover some records dad had of a few gigs, but nothing where he was solo, and the quality left a lot to be desired. My dad died six years later in Ohio one day before his 54th birthday.

It's just been recently now that we have all the equipment to make our own cd's that we decided we better get busy and make sure our close relatives, many of whom used to go to Dad's gigs both here and in Ohio to see him, had a copy of this.

When it was on reel-to-reel, we seldom played it because the tape was subject to breaking. Then we had it on cassette and played it for some friends one evening. To my surprise, several years later, our friends, Jim and Ruth, said they hadn't enjoyed a night of music as much as that since. With the holidays approaching, I think it would make a touching gift.

I'm so glad Eddie Teener played Misty for me.

No comments: