Saturday, February 9, 2008

Diva Dish

If I hadn't gone about producing Butterflies are Free at my acting studio several years ago, I probably couldn't have told you who Eileen Heckart was. But, I researched the film role, and then learned Eileen had won an Oscar for her performance in that movie with Eddie Albert, Jr. and Goldie Hawn. She had also won Emmy's (for one...a guest starring role on Lou Grant) and
Tony's as well. In other words, one of those fabulous character actresses that you may not be able to identify by name but have enjoyed her work for years.

I ran across a book written by her son, Luke Yankee, last year. After thoroughly enjoying all the fantastic anecdotes he tells about his life with his mom and the many famous people with whom she worked and socialized, such as Marilyn Monroe, Paul Newman, Ethel Merman, Lucille Ball,
I heard about his one-man show where he tells all these great stories.

We had a chance to see his show tonight, and I must say it was all I expected it to be and more.
Luke sang a few heartfelt songs and included tape of some of his mom's roles on broadway and film.
But, one of the most touching moments for me was when he acted out the last scene in Butterflies are Free, which he hadn't gotten a chance to do with his mom because she had become ill. Through the magic of technology, he performed the scene with his mom's voice. It's obvious that Luke inherited a whole lot of talent.

He signed my book...and I thought, he's just as nice as I expected him to be. Try to see it if it comes anywhere near your area. You'll be glad you did.

In truth, after months of rehearsing, and one-week before we were to open, we were not able to perform Butterflies are Free. Nevertheless, I'm grateful for the opportunity to revisit that wonderful movie and discover all the interesting things about the life of Eileen Heckert.

No comments: