Monday, December 24, 2007

Do you have a hero?

Four years ago, my cousins, Terry & Mary, adopted Joey (4) and Katie (2), the only parents these two children had ever known. This came after 14 years of fostering children who returned to their biological families or were adopted by others. They were never given the chance to adopt these children but felt the heart pangs of seeing them leave after being in their home sometimes for years.

By the way...Terry and Mary successfully reared two biological children of their own before entering into this selfless act of caring for others. I always thought them to be ideal parents, encouraging their children to venture out and pursue their passions without fear. Now, Joey and Katie are filling their lives with joy once again...and they even have a new grandchild to love as well.

Speaking of heroes, and I was, I heard recently that Sal Guerneri with whom I went to grade school and high school passed away recently. I don't know the details, but I recalled how Sal once rescued me as I was being bullied crossing the street to go to school when I was a child.
That qualifies for heroism in my book any day of the week. May his soul rest in peace.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas to you and David!